JRuby success!

Nicholas Riley njriley at uiuc.edu
Wed May 27 22:59:18 PDT 2009

In article <4A1D9DCA.3080108 at sun.com>,
 Charles Oliver Nutter <charles.nutter at sun.com>
 wrote:

> The exception-handling logic I'm not sure about. This seems to be a
> possible gap in primitive method handles: an exception-handling method
> handle that can wrap another handle with additional logic. I'm not sure
> exactly how it would manifest itself in the API.

This seems to be a big gap with Jython too.  Pretty much all of Jython's
lookup and dispatch logic could be done with composed method handles,
but exception handling doesn't fit this pattern.  The only thing I could
think to do for now would be to put the exception logic at the call
site, surrounding the invokedynamic; from some benchmarks I did a few
months ago it doesn't seem like the overhead is that high.
--
Nicholas Riley <njriley at uiuc.edu>