who needs asInstance...

Ben Evans benjamin.john.evans at gmail.com
Mon Mar 28 23:54:48 PDT 2011

Hi John,

To my mind, this is a bit of a foxy one.

As I've been working more with MHs and indy, I've become convinced that the
set of use cases is actually much larger than I first thought (although this
may be down to an initial lack of imagination on my part).

So, on the one hand, I feel that there will be potentially a larger pool of
people using this tech in JDK 7 - and that making their lives easier is a
good thing. I think if asInstance() is present, people will make use of it.

On the other, I am very strongly against the idea of having two related, but
slightly different conversions mechanisms in this space. Until JDK 8,
efforts in this space could basically amount to either second-guessing
Project Lambda or producing asInstance() as an API which has "planned
deprecation". Both of those are seriously suboptimal.

That's how I see the trade-off between doing something in 7 vs waiting for
Lambda.

As a tie-breaker:

In general, 292 is largely a language-agnostic spec. However, asInstance()
seems, to me, to be an API designed to help Java programs specifically, by
converting a method handle (which I see as more-or-less a language-agnostic
function pointer) to Java's conception of a function-like type. As there's
no explicit language-level support for Java elsewhere (including a lack of a
direct way to generate an indy bytecode from Java) this seems a bit odd to
me.

So I think that on balance, removing the API for now makes more sense.
Perhaps publish the source code for the method as an example, to allow
framework builders and others who may need to wire this up by hand to do so
in the interim.

Thanks,

Ben