disabling fastdebug

Stephen Bannasch stephen.bannasch at deanbrook.org
Thu Nov 10 11:44:10 PST 2011

At 2:28 PM +0100 11/10/11, Charles Oliver Nutter wrote:
>Ok, I think I figured out the problem.
>
>Stephen's build includes DEBUG_NAME and SKIP_FASTDEBUG_BUILD in the
>default set of variables, around line 199 in update.sh. The problem
>seems to be that if DEBUG_NAME is set to "fastdebug" that's the target
>used to build the JDK. Setting the other flags doesn't seem to have
>any effect then.
>
>I removed that line and set SKIP_FASTDEBUG_BUILD and SKIP_DEBUG_BUILD
>both to "true", and it has built a "product" build now instead.
>
>FWIW, I also cranked HOTSPOT_BUILD_JOBS up to 8 for my 4-core i7 (8
>with hyperthreading) and the build goes much faster.

Thanks for figuring that out.

I updated my build scripts so a regular production build is created:

  https://gist.github.com/gists/243072

I put the following in as comments around line 200:

  # include the following to enable a FASTDEBUG build:
  #    DEBUG_NAME=fastdebug
  # and remove the following:
  #   SKIP_FASTDEBUG_BUILD=true
  #   SKIP_DEBUG_BUILD=true

On my Mac OS X 10.6.8 system with a 2.66 GHz Intel Core i7, 8GM 1067 MHz DDR3 I get the following times for building mlvm and running the java/lang/invoke tests and the java/dyn/CoroutineTest test:

  HOTSPOT_BUILD_JOBS=2   22m
  HOTSPOT_BUILD_JOBS=4   19m
  HOTSPOT_BUILD_JOBS=8   20m