Process-level fork on OpenJDK...is it madness?

Fernando Cassia fcassia at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 14:03:56 PST 2011

On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 18:32, Mark Roos <mroos at roos.com> wrote:
> I just finished a paper (link below) on JVM startup time which states that
> for small programs its around
> 70ms

I don´t know about your paper, but on my single-core Atom netbook with
1.6 Ghz CPU and 2 Gigs of RAM running WinXP SP3 and JRE 7.0, starting
Jython takes a whopping 10-20 seconds... even more the first time I
think.

But I admit that might be more an issue with Jython than the JVM...

Plus, if start-up time of small apps wasn´t an issue Nailgun wouldn´t
even be needed. :)

FC

--
"The purpose of computing is insight, not numbers."
Richard Hamming - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamming_code