The Great Startup Problem

Per Bothner per at bothner.com
Sat Aug 23 19:45:30 UTC 2014

On 08/23/2014 12:25 PM, Per Bothner wrote:
> On 08/22/2014 01:08 PM, Charles Oliver Nutter wrote:
>> What are the rest of you doing to deal with these issues?
>
> Start-up does not appear to a problem for Kawa:

I should mention I'm not using invokedynamic, and have no
concrete plans to do so.  However, I am working on pattern-matching, which
may make multi-methods more attractive, in which case invokedynamic
may be more of a benefit.  InDy would probably also be helpful for arithmetic
(though for performance-critical code it is better to make use of
optional type specifiers and type inference)

I will be using MethodHandles extensively in a re-write of the
"apply" mechanism that I'm working on.  This will replace the "switch"
pattern I'm using, and should avoid the need for generating a 'ModuleBody'
class in some cases.
--
	--Per Bothner