[jvm-l] slow downs in invokedynamic native code

Benjamin Sieffert benjamin.sieffert at metrigo.de
Wed Mar 16 12:59:58 UTC 2016

Hi,

I did run into this issue with Nashorn as well. That was back in 2013, but
a certain Nick Houghton (cc, who will be glad to here there’s finally a bug
filed) contacted me about that in Dec'15, asking whether I had made any
progress, because he had discovered the same issue.
Here’s my original thread:
http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/mlvm-dev/2013-September/005489.html
Maybe Jochen or Remi will still remember.

Anyways, I think we did solve this issue by eliminating a pattern where we
would globally define objects in our script environment via calls to
NashornScriptEngine.put. I suspect that overriding the same global variable
repeatedly and hence, I suppose, invalidating corresponding call sites,
might’ve triggered the pathologic behaviour.

Just wanted to let you know, in case it help narrowing down the issue /
understanding the impact.

Kind Regards,
Benjamin

--
Benjamin Sieffert
metrigo GmbH | A Zalando Company

Geschäftsführer: Tobias Schlottke, Philipp Erler

Die Gesellschaft ist eingetragen beim Registergericht Hamburg HRB 120447