Patch for Enhancement Bug # 6313849 and 417591

Michael McMahon Michael.McMahon at Sun.COM
Fri May 18 09:34:01 PDT 2007

Andreas Schaefer wrote:
> Michael McMahon wrote:
>> Christopher Hegarty - Sun Microsystems Ireland wrote:
>>>

>>> Andreas Schaefer wrote:
>>>  > Well, the reason I did make it abstract is the fact that I did
>>> want to
>>>
>>> While breaking source compatibility in a major release ( and jdk 7
>>> is a major release ) is acceptable, I think there should be a good
>>> reason to do so, and I do not believe that there is one in this case.
>>>
>> This case is probably in a grey area. Normally, the justification has
>> to be very strong, but
>> URLConnection and its sub-classes would mostly be considered as part
>> of the platform rather
>> than as part of applications. In other words, (as Andy said) there
>> probably aren't that many
>> implementations out there. So long as we maintain binary
>> compatibility for existing applications
>> using third party URLConnections (assuming there are some) then we
>> should be ok.
>>
>> I think I prefer the method name close() to disconnect() since it
>> seems to be closer to
>> what the bug report is asking for. HttpURLConnection.disconnect() is
>> slightly different
>> in meaning.
>>
>> - Michael.
> My idea is that connect() / disconnect() are orthogonal methods
> meaning that after a disconnect() one can reopen the Connection by
> issuing another connect() call. Calling it close() would break that
> linguistically but with the proper documentation it should be fine.
>
> -Andy
One other thing, URLConnections can't be reused. I imagine it could lead
to all kinds
of security issues if we tried to support that. They are basically
immutable in terms
of the resource that is accessed. I don't think this RFE really needs
that. What do you think?

- Michael.