Code review request, 8020842 IDN do not throw IAE when hostname ends with a trailing dot

Xuelei Fan xuelei.fan at oracle.com
Fri Aug 9 19:49:59 PDT 2013

Hi Michael,

It is pretty hard to get the issue solved in SNIHostName in a good
sharp.  Here is my try to state why we should fix the issue in IDN.

In SNIHostName, the following hostname are not accepted as valid hostname:
1. empty hostname
2. hostname ends with a trailing dot
3. hostname does not comply to RFC 3490.

The process in SNIHostName looks like:
1. call IDN.toASCII() to convert a string hostname
2. check that the return value of #1 is an valid hostname (non-empty,
non-end-with-tailing-dot).

At present, the IDN cannot handle the following IDN properly.
1. returns "com" for "com."
   the trailing dot is swallowed.

2. throws StringIndexOutOfBoundsException for "."
    If "." is an valid IDN that comply to RFC 3490, IDN.toASCII() should
be able to handle it; otherwise, IDN.toASCII() should throw IAE as the
specification suggested. However, IDN.toASCII(".") throws
StringIndexOutOfBoundsException, this behavior does not comply the the
specification:

3. throws StringIndexOutOfBoundsException for "example...net"
   As #2.

We can address #1 and #2 in SNIHostName, but the checking is overloaded
as IDN also need to address the issue. And SNIHostName has to know
what's the separators (".", "\u3002, etc) of IDN in order to check the
dot character. It is not a good encapsulation, and involved in too much
about the details of domain name, I think.

It is a little big hard to address #3 in SNIHostName.

Both all of above issue can be easily addressed in IDN.  And once IDN
addressed these issues, the current SNIHostName is able to handle
invalid hostname (empty, trailing dot, etc) correctly.  We won't need to
touch SNIHostName any more.

Please consider it.

The latest webrev is at:
http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~xuelei/8020842/webrev.02/