RFR: 8263561: Re-examine uses of LinkedList

Daniel Fuchs dfuchs at openjdk.java.net
Fri May 21 14:26:48 UTC 2021

On Fri, 26 Feb 2021 10:48:33 GMT, Сергей Цыпанов <github.com+10835776+stsypanov at openjdk.org> wrote:

> The usage of `LinkedList` is senseless and can be replaced with either `ArrayList` or `ArrayDeque` which are both more compact and effective.
>
> jdk:tier1 and jdk:tier2 are both ok

I don't remember all the comments you have received in this thread but have you verified that arbitrarily changing `LinkedList` into `ArrayList` in these classes is not going to significantly increase the footprint in the case where lists are empty or contain only one or two elements?

I am not convinced that a global replacement of  `LinkedList` by `ArrayList` is necessarily good - even though I agree that `ArrayList` is generally more efficient.

src/java.base/share/classes/jdk/internal/util/jar/JarIndex.java line 155:

> 153:      */
> 154:     public List<String> get(String fileName) {
> 155:         ArrayList<String> jarFiles;

This could probably be declared as:

List<String> jarFiles;

src/java.base/share/classes/jdk/internal/util/jar/JarIndex.java line 264:

> 262:                 String jar = jarFiles[i];
> 263:                 bw.write(jar + "\n");
> 264:                 ArrayList<String> jarlist = jarMap.get(jar);

Here again, jarList could probably be declared as `List<String>`