NIO.2 and GC activity

Alan Bateman Alan.Bateman at Sun.COM
Fri Apr 17 07:27:28 PDT 2009

Salter, Thomas A wrote:
> I couldn't find any MSDN reference that guarantees the order in which multiple pending receives would complete.  Do they promise to satisfy requests in the order they are issued?
That is a good question as it would have to be guaranteed for anyone to
rely on this.

> Do they guarantee to post completion status in the order the data is received?
We don't require this. Even if the notification ordering is guaranteed
it isn't useful because the completion notifications are handled
concurrently. FYI, in our implementation we simply map the address of
the OVERLAPPED structure back to the request.

> I would certainly want to see this spelled out in Windows documentation before writing an application that depended on a particular order.
Absolutely!

-Alan.