7057935: com/sun/nio/sctp tests should be moved out of jdk_nio and into their own target, jdk_sctp

Alan Bateman Alan.Bateman at oracle.com
Wed Jun 22 08:10:16 PDT 2011

Chris Hegarty wrote:
> Kelly, Alan,
>
> The com/sun/nio/sctp tests are run when running the jdk regression
> tests with the makefile in the jdk/test directory. They are currently
> part of the jdk_nio3 target.
>
> SCTP is a niche area and there is no need to have these tests run with
> the nio tests. Also most of them are on the ProblemList.txt since
> there are many kernel issues ( most of which are resolved in the
> latest Solaris 10 update release, but there sill remains a few that
> will be addressed in S10u11 ). The bottom line is that these tests are
> not suitable to be run in JPRT, and give little value to developers
> not actively developing SCTP.
>
> Best to provide a specific jdk_sctp target that can be used when the
> sctp tests are required to be run.
>
> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~chegar/7057935/jdk8.webrev.00/webrev/
>
> -Chris.
Separating these out into their own target make sense to me, at least
for the short term. One coment is that you've replaced com/sun/nio in
the jdk_nio3 target with com/sun/nio/file but there aren't any tests
there so I assume you should just remove it.

There is some additional plumbing in the top level repository's
make/jprt.properties file that Kelly might want to comment on. My guess
is that the new batch shouldn't need to be list there but Kelly might
want JPRT be capable of running it.

A general comment is that Jon added agentvm mode to jtreg recently so
for jdk8 I think this make file should be re-worked to take advantage of
it. Also there are batches such as jdk_misc that are unusual mix of
tests. My guess is that most people aren't familiar with the names of
the test batches and would prefer to specify the tests to run (or just
to "make" to run all tests or a reasonable default set).

-Alan.