RFR [8058875]: CharsetEncoder.maxBytesPerChar() should return 4 for UTF-8

Xueming Shen xueming.shen at oracle.com
Mon Sep 22 21:46:48 UTC 2014

On 09/22/2014 01:14 PM, Ivan Gerasimov wrote:
> Hello!
>
> The UTF-8 encoding allows characters that are 4 bytes long.
> However, CharsetEncoder.maxBytesPerChar() currently returns 3.0, which is not always enough.
>
> Would you please review the simple fix for this issue?
>
> BUGURL: https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8058875
> WEBREV: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~igerasim/8058875/0/webrev/
>
> Sincerely yours,
> Ivan

The "character" in the nio Charset and CharDe/Encoder is specified as "sixteen-bit Unicode
code unit", so it is reasonable to interpret the "character" in the "maximum number of bytes
that will be produced for each character of input" to be the Java "char" as well. In case of
UTF8, each 4-byte form supplementary character is always coded into 2 surrogate chars,
it's "2 byte per char". Do we have a real escalation that complains about this?

-Sherman