8241336: Some java.net tests failed with NoRouteToHostException on MacOS with special network configuration

Alan Bateman Alan.Bateman at oracle.com
Thu Mar 26 17:29:33 UTC 2020

On 26/03/2020 15:36, Daniel Fuchs wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Please find below a fix for:
> 8241336: Some java.net tests failed with NoRouteToHostException on
>          MacOS with special network configuration
>
> webrev:
> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~dfuchs/webrev_8241336/webrev.01/index.html
NetworkConfiguration.isTestable - is the hardcoded check for "awdl"
needed? I don't think I've seen it with non-link local address so I
can't tell if it is needed. I'm

Promiscuous - can "addr" be renamed to toSocketAddress so the usages are
a bit clearer?

SetOutgoingIf - the initializer at L38 may not be obvious to some
readers that aren't used to that syntax, can it use a regular
constructor instead?

AdaptorMulticasting - I don't mind if it included here or separated into
its own issue as the changes aren't needed for JDK-8241336. If you are
including it then the patch should be cleaned up a bit so that it is
consistent with the existing code. It was an oversight (by me) when I
added this test. testSendNoReceive should have just ignored datagrams
that are sent by an unexpected sender or with unexpected bytes. I think
it complicates things to try to decode the bytes of a random datagram
and prefer to see that part removed. It's okay to lot a message that an
expected message has been received but its content it not interesting
for the test. One thing that we should do some time is change some of
the multicasting tests to use other multicast groups. I suspect some of
the tests have copied the multicast address from other tests so we end
up with several tests using the same group.

-Alan.