RFR: 8214248: (fs) Files:mismatch spec clarifications

Alan Bateman alanb at openjdk.org
Sat Aug 19 19:11:27 UTC 2023

On Fri, 18 Aug 2023 23:11:43 GMT, Brian Burkhalter <bpb at openjdk.org> wrote:

> Clarify that `Files::mismatch` does not access the file system if both paths locate the same file. Add package documentation about file operations on directories being implementation specific.

src/java.base/share/classes/java/nio/file/package-info.java line 90:

> 88:  * to whether such operations will succeed. These operations will either work
> 89:  * or throw an {@code IOException}. </p>
> 90:  *

I'm not sure about this wording or section title. I think the point is that a file path can locate any time of file, be it a regular file, directory, sym link, or something else. There is nothing to prevent attempting a file operation on any file but it may be that some operations aren't applicable or supported on some file types. It may be that this part should be a separate issue/PR as it's nothing to do with Files.mismatch.