RFR: 8222329: Readable read(CharBuffer) does not specify that 0 is returned when there is no remaining space in buffer

Lance Andersen lancea at openjdk.org
Thu Jun 22 19:19:05 UTC 2023

>>> 48:      * @return The number of {@code char} values added to the buffer,
>>> 49:      *         possibly zero, or -1 if this source of characters is at its end
>>
>> Would it be clearer to specifically indicate 0 is returned when no characters will be read.
>
> Might be. I was mimicking the return specification from [FileChannel::read](https://docs.oracle.com/en/java/javase/20/docs/api/java.base/java/nio/channels/FileChannel.html#read(java.nio.ByteBuffer[],int,int)).

Consistency is probably good I guess in this case, though specifying `zero` vs `0` seems inconsistent when we specify `-1` as I believe this varies throughout the javadoc.  But it matches the other javadoc so we are at least consistent (somewhat )

OK for now by me