RFR: 8341944: The zlib library no longer requires dummy byte for raw inflate [v2]

Eirik Bjørsnøs eirbjo at openjdk.org
Fri Oct 11 15:16:50 UTC 2024

> Please review this cleanup PR which removes overrides of `InflaterInputStream.fill` in `ZipFileInflaterInputStream` and `ZipFileSystem::getInputStream`. Associated boolean fields used to track `eof` are also removed.
>
> These overrides exist to provide zlib with an extra dummy byte at the end of raw compressed streams (no wrapping):
>

> // Override fill() method to provide an extra "dummy" byte
> // at the end of the input stream. This is required when
> // using the "nowrap" Inflater option.
> protected void fill() throws IOException {
>
> However, zlib has not required such an extra dummy byte since 2003.
>

> Changes in 1.2.0 (9 March 2003)
> - New and improved inflate code
>     - Raw inflate no longer needs an extra dummy byte at end
> ```
>
> The code in these overrides is effectively dead and removing it cleans up our code and reclaims weirdness dollars for our budget.
>
> Risk: I cannot imagine anyone is building OpenJDK with a 21 year old ZLIB.  Please advise if this is the case or if any zlib fork in use still has this limitation.
>
> Testing: ZIP and ZIPFS tests run green locally. GHA results pending. No tests are added or modified, this is a cleanup-only PR. Manually verified that the code is dead by injecting AssertionErrors.

Eirik Bjørsnøs has updated the pull request incrementally with one additional commit since the last revision:

  Update Inflater and Deflater constructors taking 'nowrap' options to explain more clearly what this option does

Changes:
  - all: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/21467/files
  - new: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/21467/files/661032c8..66abb0dc

Webrevs: