RFR: 8069345: (fs) FileTreeWalker throws NotDirectoryException on file junction points [v2]

Alan Bateman alanb at openjdk.org
Fri Oct 18 11:54:59 UTC 2024

On Thu, 17 Oct 2024 23:56:37 GMT, Brian Burkhalter <bpb at openjdk.org> wrote:

> Agreed. Note that the only actual implementation changes being proposed here are
>
> 1. `Files.isSymbolicLink` would return `true` for directory junctions.
> 2. `Files.readSymbolicLink` would return the target of the mount point.
>
> It is incomplete in the current form of this request, but I think tighter checks should be performed to ensure that the target does not represent a volume mount point, nor a regular file, nor a symbolic link.

Junctions, volume mount points, and several other reparse points are just too messy and NFTS specific to support in the standard API. Directory junctions may be semantically close but aren't quite the same thing so I fear that this will require effort to audit every I/O operation to flush out oddities. I also fear this will leading to weasel words in the specs. So not sure.