RFR: 8338411: Implement JEP 486: Permanently Disable the Security Manager [v3]

Harshitha Onkar honkar at openjdk.org
Thu Oct 24 21:10:36 UTC 2024

On Thu, 24 Oct 2024 20:23:26 GMT, Alexey Ivanov <aivanov at openjdk.org> wrote:

>> @aivanov-jdk
>> It was missed when -Djava.security.manager=allow was removed.
>> Out of curiosity: does it have any impact on the performance of CI testing if tests are run in `/othervm` mode when it is not needed?
>
>> It was missed when `-Djava.security.manager=allow` was removed.
>
> It wasn't intentional then, was it?
>
>> Out of curiosity: does it have any impact on the performance of CI testing if tests are run in /othervm mode when it is not needed?
>
> I guess it does, `othervm` tests launch a new VM for each test as opposed to re-using an already running VM.
>
> Anyway, removing `/othervm` isn't strictly required because `java/beans` are run in `othervm` mode.
>
> https://github.com/openjdk/jdk/blob/d1540e2a49c7a41eb771fc9896c367187d070dec/test/jdk/TEST.ROOT#L48-L49
>
> It caught my attention because `/othervm` is removed from tests in `beans/XMLEncoder/*/`, that is in subfolders, whereas in the `beans/XMLEncoder/` folder these are left.

@aivanov-jdk
Right, it wasn't intentionally but missed when removing `-Djava.security.manager=allow`.

> Anyway, removing /othervm isn't strictly required because java/beans are run in othervm mode.

Thank you for clarifying. Since `/othervm` doesn't impact the beans tests I'll keep it as-is. Let me know if you still think it is good to remove, I can probably do a replace-all on beans/XMLEncoder/ folder.