[API Review]: RT-28817 - Add explicit dispose() method to MediaPlayer

Richard Bair richard.bair at oracle.com
Thu Mar 7 14:08:13 PST 2013

Hi Alexander,

Sounds good. For reference, Skin also has a method called 'dispose' so I think we have the right name here. Note:

http://docs.oracle.com/javafx/2/api/javafx/scene/control/Skin.html

Be sure to spec in the JavaDoc for MediaPlayer & MediaView what it means when a MediaPlayer has been disposed. For example, if I dispose a MediaPlayer and then set it on a MediaView, what happens? I would suggest that nothing bad should happen (along the lines of Skin). However maybe we want to have an isDisposed method on MediaPlayer so developers can inspect a media player and know whether they should create a new one (in which case having a read only disposedProperty is also a good idea). All methods on the MediaPlayer need to specify their behavior when invoked on a disposed MediaPlayer.

I think you're on the right path that dispose() can be called no matter what state the media player is in. Be sure to specify what state the player will be in after dispose is called. Also we need to have tests that ensure that the state transitions work correctly.

Thanks!
Richard