Duplicating a Node

John Hendrikx hjohn at xs4all.nl
Tue Mar 19 08:15:26 PDT 2013

On 18/03/2013 10:22, Pavel Safrata wrote:
> Hi John,
> I tried to use reflection on node with PerspectiveTransform and I
> don't see anything wrong with it - no alternating size, no incorrect
> reflection. Could you please elaborate on what you are trying to
> achieve? Code that I used:
>
>         Rectangle rect = new Rectangle(100, 50, Color.RED);
>         Reflection r = new Reflection();
>         r.setInput(new PerspectiveTransform(50, 40, 100, 40, 170, 80,
> 0, 80));
>         rect.setEffect(r);
Look at the reflection for this Rectangle instead:

         Rectangle rect = new Rectangle(100, 50, Color.RED);
         Reflection r = new Reflection();
         r.setInput(new PerspectiveTransform(50, 40, 100, 50, 100, 70,
50, 80));
         rect.setEffect(r);

Notice that the Reflection is not what you'd expect for a Node that has
the appearance of being 3D.

So, that is not the problem.  It is perfectly possible to create a
Reflection from an object that has a PerspectiveTransform applied to
it.  The problem is that the reflection created is simplistic in that it
assumes the object must be reflected in a horizontal line somewhere
below the object (which is fine for 2D stuff, but not if you are trying
to make your Nodes look 3D with reflections).  Please see
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Mb15bOwIyE and look how the reflections
there are exactly attached to the bottom of PerspectiveTransform'ed
Nodes, no spacing.

When you apply a PerspectiveTransform, the idea is to make the object
look 3D.  The Reflection therefore must also be 3D, which means you
cannot just create it by copying an upside-down image of the object
below the PerspectiveTransformed object.    Instead the Reflection
should also be 3D and the line it should reflect in is the bottom line
of the object AFTER the PerspectiveTransform was applied (and this line
is not always horizontal).  Here's some ASCII art:

  OOOO
  OOOOOOOO
  OOOOOOOO
  OOOOOOOO
  OOOORRRR
  RRRRRRRR
  RRRRRRRR
  RRRRRR
  RRR

Instead of:

  OOOO
  OOOOOOOO
  OOOOOOOO
  OOOOOOOO
  OOOO
  RRRR
  RRRRRRRR
RRRRRRRR
RRRRRRRR
  RRRR

Now, it is possible to achieve this by reversing the inputs, first doing
the Reflection, then looking at how Reflection changed the Node, then
applying a PerspectiveTransform that gets the correct 3D result.
However, this is very cumbersome, makes assumptions about how Reflection
will change your Node and does not allow for creation of Reflections for
Objects that have more than just a rotation on the Y axis applied to them.

This is why I really need something (an Effect or NodeReference) that
could create a duplicate of a Node :)

--John