Proposal: Deprecate Builders

Danno Ferrin danno.ferrin at shemnon.com
Mon Mar 25 13:46:36 PDT 2013

On Mar 25, 2013 3:28 PM, "Richard Bair" <richard.bair at oracle.com> wrote:

>> From the outside, it looked to me that Builders were there to relieve
the collective guilt of killing off JavaFX Script.  This was before the
uptake of FXML.

> Partially I guess. I think it was that FXML wasn't done yet and we really
wanted some way to write UI that wasn't the "Swing way". And Builders
seemed like a great Java thing to do (Its even in effective Java yo!) so
that seemed good. And there were strong proponents of it. And there was no
tool support for FXML for a while -- but now all the IDEs I think have code
completion for FXML so it isn't as inferior vs. static code. There are
still lots of people who wouldn't touch XML with a ten-foot pole, but
you're never going to please everybody. The killer to me is that in order
to "fix" builders we have to add a pile of weight to the platform, and it
just isn't justified in my mind

SceneBuilder is the killer app for FXML.  It is what the NetBeans GUI
builder could have been without the added weight of a complete Java IDE.  I
was skeptical at first but now I am sold.

> Thanks!
> Richard
>
> Aren't you on vacation? ;)

My wife is current driving, rocking the GPRS connection.