Memory leaks on Linux with hardware renderer

Itai itaisha at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 13:13:51 UTC 2016

I'm sorry to see the issue could still not be reproduced on any OpenJFX
team members.

Meanwhile, I have noticed a user on reddit (JavaFX sub-reddit) had the same
issue:
https://www.reddit.com/r/JavaFX/comments/4nr2ln/memory_leak_when_calling_imageviewsettranslatex/
.
However, they have managed to profile it (VisualVM has a bug making it
nearly impossible to CPU profile JavaFX programs), and found out a lot of
time is taken by `com.sun.prism.es2.X11GLContext.makeCurrent`.

Taking this lead, I have found this:
http://www.gamedev.net/topic/679705-glxmakecurrent-slowly-leaks-memory/

Sadly I don't know enough about OpenGL to understand most of it, but it
seems to me like it's the same issue, so possibly it's not a Java issue at
all. However, maybe it can be avoided? In this linked post it is mentioned
that the leak only happens when having two windows, but in JavaFX this
always happens, so maybe there is a redundant call to `makeCurrent`?

Hope this helps to find the source of the problem, and if it's indeed
outside of Java/JavaFX scope - report it to the relevant project.

On Thu, Jul 21, 2016 at 6:12 PM, Kevin Rushforth <kevin.rushforth at oracle.com