Windows Build setupTools

Michael Ennen mike.ennen at gmail.com
Thu Dec 21 05:40:45 UTC 2017

Some people were reporting that Windows builds are difficult to setup.
I think this is due to the fact that the call to setupTools in
buildSrc/win.gradle
is in fact not working correctly.

Invoking buildSrc/genVSproperties.bat directly prints the correct
properties.

However adding some debugging to setupTools it is clear that something is
very wrong
with it. This is the result:

WINDOWS_VS_DEVENVDIR=
WINDOWS_VS_DEVENVCMD=/VCExpress.exe
WINDOWS_VS_VCINSTALLDIR=
WINDOWS_VS_VSINSTALLDIR=
WINDOWS_VS_MSVCDIR=
WINDOWS_VS_INCLUDE=
WINDOWS_VS_LIB=
WINDOWS_VS_LIBPATH=
WINDOWS_VS_PATH=;<SNIP ENTIRE SYSTEM PATH>
WINDOWS_VS_VER=120
WINDOWS_SDK_DIR=
WINDOWS_SDK_VERSION=

This is the reason people are needing to hard-code values for the properties
below the call to setupTools.

I am trying to debug what is actually wrong with setupTools but so far not
making much
progress. I tried this on my local Windows 10 machine and Appveyor VMs and
the result
is the same. I also read at least two mails in this list about needing to
hard-code the
properties, I am assuming it is for the same reason.

I will try and figure out the reason but wanted to at least make this issue
more concrete.

--
Michael Ennen