WebView and WebGL

John-Val Rose johnvalrose at gmail.com
Sat Sep 9 22:45:43 UTC 2017

Yes Scott, the rendering in WebView is done with the JavaFX API which has pros and cons.

The major "pro" is that it is a lightweight control that plays nicely with all other controls (and the performance is surprisingly good). The "con" is that implementing WebGL was thus very complicated (with the issues about OpenGL on Windows already mentioned) and therefore omitted.

As I mentioned in another post, the product "JxBrowser" which is based on Chromium is a heavyweight control where all the rendering is done by Chromium itself. This makes it perform just as well as Chrome and supports WebGL and full-mode Google Maps.

It looks like a great choice until you want to use other (lightweight) controls with it. The native rendering will just override anything you do over the top of JxBrowser and that age-old problem of trying to mix heavyweight and lightweight controls is highlighted.

But, if you just want a real HTML5 browser control in your JavaFX app surrounded by normal controls, it works great (if you can afford it!). But it isn't portable to iOS or Android either with tools like Gluon Mobile.

It is NOT the correct, long-term solution to enabling proper, advanced OpenGL support in JavaFX, either in a 3D Canvas or in WebView.

Determining the best solution & making it work is now my mission :-)

(And yes, the current JavaFX 3D features are extremely rudimentary and not particularly useful. I don't expect them to be ever enhanced. They're effectively "frozen". It's a harsh call but I think they were a mistake from day one. We need a completely different alternative).

Graciously,

John-Val Rose
Chief Scientist/Architect
Rosethorn Technology