[11] Review request : JDK-8195799 : Use System logger instead of platform logger in javafx modules

mandy chung mandy.chung at oracle.com
Fri Mar 23 17:00:28 UTC 2018

On 3/23/18 9:34 AM, Ajit Ghaisas wrote:
> Hi Kevin, Mandy and Daniel,
>
>      Please review the changeset that removes dependency on sun.util.logging package from JavaFX code.
>
>      Bug :  https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8195799
>      Fix :  http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~aghaisas/fx/8195799/webrev.0/

buildSrc/addExports
    FX modules are compiled together and I don't expect these
--add-exports are needed.  I suspect it's because of the boot JDK and
this is a temporary dance?

PlatformLogger.java
  150     public static synchronized PlatformLogger getLogger(String name) {

This keeps the weak reference to all PlatformLogger created.  A
simplification is to return

    new PlatformLogger(System.getLogger(name));

System::getLogger should return the same instance if it has been
created.  I also suspect the caller of PlatformLogger::getLogger keeps a
strong reference and calls it once.

I recalled there were some native methods calling the Java API to set
level.  It has been a while back since I looked at it and things miight
have changed.  Is there such reference any more?

Other than the above comments, this change looks good.

Mandy