JDK-8195974: Replace use of java.util.logging in javafx with System logger

Kevin Rushforth kevin.rushforth at oracle.com
Thu May 3 00:31:44 UTC 2018

inline

On 5/2/2018 4:52 PM, Nir Lisker wrote:
> Thanks Murali,
>
> I won’t suggest reading level value from log/config file.
>

> Is that file user facing? If so, wouldn't ignoring the level set in the
> file break current behavior? Would there need to be follow-up changes to
> this file to remove the level setting from it?

Not sure what you mean by "that file". The WCMediaPlayer file? No, it
isn't user-facing. Or did you mean something else?

> About option (a), wouldn't removing the verbose flag (After changing INFO
> to FINE) cause all the log messages to appear by default, as you've stated
> in the first point, and we want to avoid that? We don't have a minimum log
> level setting.

By default the log level for all loggers is set at INFO -- thus the
suggestion to change all of the INFO messages to FINE, which will not be
logged by default. If we still end up with a bunch of extra WARNING or
SEVERE log messages from from ordinary situations, then that would be a
problem. Given that the implementation of WCMediaPlayer produces
"noisier than typical" INFO log messages, it wouldn't surprise me that
some of the WARNING log messages are things that the user shouldn't
necessarily be warned about.

In any case, the second suggestion of keeping the verbose flag but
putting it on a System property might be less intrusive. And like the
current solution, puts the control in the hands of the user.

-- Kevin