A WIP for JDK-8238080 for review/discussion (Re: "Internal review ID 9063426: "FXMLLoader: if script engines implement javax.script.Compilabel compile scripts"

Rony G. Flatscher Rony.Flatscher at wu.ac.at
Fri Feb 28 18:22:24 UTC 2020

Here is a WIP [1] implementation of [2]. The WIP is based on [3], which is currently in review, and
has an appropriate test unit going with it as well, please review.

There should be no compatibility issue with this implementation.

Discussion: another solution could be to not compile by default. Rather compile, if some new
information is present with the FXML file which cannot possibly be present in existing FXML files.
In this scenario one possible and probably simple solution would be to only compile scripts if the
language process instruction (e.g. <?language rexx?>) contains an appropriate attribute with a value
indicating that compilation should be carried out (e.g.: compile="true"). This way only FXML with
PIs having this attribute set to true would be affected. If desired I could try to come up with a
respective solution as well.

---rony

[1] "Implementation and test unit": <https://github.com/openjdk/jfx/pull/129>

[2] "JDK-8238080 : FXMLLoader: if script engines implement javax.script.Compilable compile scripts":
<https://bugs.java.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=JDK-8238080>

[3] "8234959: FXMLLoader does not populate ENGINE_SCOPE Bindings with FILENAME and ARGV":
<https://github.com/openjdk/jfx/pull/122/commits>