Setting graphics of a Labeled does not show the Label correctly

Andy Goryachev andy.goryachev at oracle.com
Thu Dec 1 17:20:47 UTC 2022

Does wrapping the action code in runLater() help?

b1.setOnAction((ev) -> {
Platform.runLater(() -> {
  if (b1.getParent() == cb1) {

-andy

From: openjfx-dev <openjfx-dev-retn at openjdk.org> on behalf of John Hendrikx <john.hendrikx at gmail.com>
Date: Thursday, 2022/12/01 at 09:14
To: Nir Lisker <nlisker at gmail.com>
Cc: openjfx-dev at openjdk.org <openjfx-dev at openjdk.org>
Subject: Re: Setting graphics of a Labeled does not show the Label correctly

The mechanism does seem like it is a bit poorly designed, as it is easy to create inconsistencies.

Luckily it seems that you can't remove a graphic yourself from a Control (getChildren is protected).

I don't think there is an easy solution though...

I think that once you set a graphic on a Labeled, you need to somehow mark it as "in use".  Normally you could just check parent != null for this, but it is trickier than that.  The Skin ultimately determines if it adds the graphic as child, which may be delayed or may even be disabled (content display property is set to showing TEXT only).

Perhaps Skins should always add the graphic and just hide it (visible false, managed false), but that's going to be hard to enforce.

Marking the graphic as "in use" could be done with:

- a property in `getProperties`
- a new "owner" or "ownedBy" property
- allowing "parent" to be set without adding it to children (probably going to mess up stuff)

--John