RFR: 8276170: Create Sources when publishing to Maven

Johan Vos jvos at openjdk.org
Sun Dec 4 20:14:07 UTC 2022

On Fri, 29 Oct 2021 12:36:13 GMT, eduardsdv <duke at openjdk.org> wrote:

> Create sources.jars and attach they to the publish task, so that they can be uploaded to the (e.g. maven) repository automatically.

We're now using the github issue tracker to discuss reproducible builds, which is probably not the primary reason Github issues were created, so I think it's better to start this discussion on a mail thread :)
After reading it twice, I agree with your analysis (no need to test corner cases *IF* we have reproducible builds)
I think there is some overlap in the two goals. We'll need to test for bit-for-bit identical artifacts for all the cornercases. By cornercases, I mean for example JavaFX 64 bit on Pi 4 with Ubuntu. You can't build that with the same compiler/libc/gtk-libs/... as Raspberry Pi OS for the same Pi 4.

The majority of potential issues I see are on niche platforms with niche usecases. Creating reproducible builds for all these platforms sounds extremely difficult to me, but I'd like to be proven wrong. Especially the dependency on system libs and the low-level graphical drivers are non-trivial. We already had issues in differences for Linux 64 bit desktop when compiling using Ubuntu 18 versus Ubuntu 20 libs, and Linux/Ubuntu is about the simplest case I can think of. The myriad of embedded platforms make it harder.
But we should probably continue the discussion on a mailthread :)