RFR: 8278980: Update WebKit to 613.1

Kevin Rushforth kcr at openjdk.java.net
Wed Feb 2 12:49:16 UTC 2022

On Wed, 2 Feb 2022 07:34:55 GMT, Ambarish Rapte <arapte at openjdk.org> wrote:

> Update JavaFX WebKit to GTK WebKit 2.34 (613.1).
>
> Verified the updated version build, tests run and sanity testing.
> This does not cause any issues except a unit test failure `IrresponsiveScriptTest`.
> It is recorded and ignored using [JDK-8280421](https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8280421)

One other thing to note about this update is that WebKit 613.1 will not compile with Visual Studio 2017 -- it requires VS 2019. This is similar to the previous 612.1 update, [JDK-8268849](https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8268849), where a follow-on fix, [JDK-8270479](https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8270479), was needed. I filed a similar bug this time:

[JDK-8278983](https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8278983): WebKit 613.1 build fails with Visual Studio 2017

but it doesn't seem so straight-forward. We are likely at the point where we need to require VS 2019 to build (I note that WebKit itself has required VS 2019 for about 1.5 years). In order to eventually backport this to JavaFX 11, we will need to solve a long-standing problem when `jlink`ing the JavaFX jmods into a JDK that was built with an earlier version of the Visual Studio compiler than the one used to build JavaFX. I filed the following to track this:

[JDK-8281089](https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8281089): JavaFX built with VS2019 and jlinked into JDK 11.x fails to start