Platform independent deployment

Thomas Reinhardt thomas.reinhardt at s4p.de
Thu Oct 20 06:42:04 UTC 2022

Hi!

Apologizes if this is not the proper list to ask my question.

For context: we are using the WebView of JavaFX in our legacy swing
based frontend application. For now that is the only component we are
using but we might migrate completely at a later point in time.

I have an issue with the way platform dependent dependencies are
handled. We are using maven btw.
My understanding is that during the build a profile is selected based on
the host os name and architecture. That profile then sets a property
(javafx.platform) that is in turn used as the classifier for platform
dependent dependencies.
(Offtopic to my question: eclipse warns that the profile ids are not
unique in the org.openjfx:javafx pom.xml).

Which means that the result of my build is locked to a single platform.
But we have customers for windows and linux and don't want to have
separate artifacts as that would mean we also have to handle that
distinction in our installer etc.

I know I can override the automatically detected platform but that does
not solve the issue.

Ideally I would use something like -Djavafx.platform=all but that does
not exist.

My question is: is there an existing solution where I can just include
all platform dependencies for say windows and linux and the runtime
"sorts it out"? A naive test (manual copying of artifacts) of mine
unfortunately failed. Of course I could just use custom classloaders and
do it myself but I really would prefer to use an existing solution and
not implement some workaround.

If there is no solution (yet), is there interest in such a feature? We
might be able to contribute to the project.

-Thomas