RFR: 8332895: Support interpolation for backgrounds and borders [v18]

Andy Goryachev angorya at openjdk.org
Wed Aug 7 16:06:43 UTC 2024

On Wed, 7 Aug 2024 15:34:37 GMT, Michael Strauß <mstrauss at openjdk.org> wrote:

>> But the annotation costs no bytes per instance, if that even matters, as I thought these were singletons so it looks like we're quite into micro-optimization territory here.
>
> Whether a style converter supports reconstruction should be a statement about the type, not a statement about the instance. For this reason, I don't prefer an instance method like `isSupportReconstruction()`. In any case, these are our options:
> 1. Boolean parameter / Feature enum passed to constructor
> 2. Instance method `isSupportReconstruction()`
> 3. Annotation
> 4. Empty marker interface
> 5. Interface with the `convertBack` method
> 6. Subclassing
>
> I lean slightly towards the annotation, but I'm generally okay with either option.

I just saw a boolean variable being instantiated from an annotation and thought "why jump through the multiple hoops?".  since there is a boolean, why not pass it directly?

it's less about memory allocation (though I would prefer to minimize that as well, but as @hjohn pointed out the difference is just a few bytes), but more about "entities must not be multiplied beyond necessity".