[foreign] test_time timezone trouble (TZ)

Jorn Vernee jbvernee at xs4all.nl
Fri Sep 21 19:44:29 UTC 2018

Hello guys,

I was running into a problem with the test_time test in StdLibTest. The
generator for test values was apparently generating invalid values.
After fixing that, all the test iterations were failing because the
hours were off by one (the output of LocalDateTime.getHours() is being
compared to the output of localtime().hour()). Good thing somebody else
on the internet seems to have had the same problem [1]. TL;DR when using
the MSVC version of localtime, and when running in cygwin, the function
tries to interpret the TZ environment variable, but since that has a
unix format (courtesy of cygwin), the interpretation fails and defaults
to GMT. When TZ is not set, it defaults to the system default timezone,
which is also what's being tested against.

I can get the tests to pass by using `unset TZ` in the cygwin terminal
before running them, but I'd have to do that every time I reboot it. I
was trying to unset TZ automatically by using jtreq `@run shell
unsettz.sh` where unsettz.sh is a file containing just the command
`unset TZ`. It seems to be running successfully according to the test
output:

ACTION: shell -- Passed. Execution successful
REASON: User specified action: run shell unsettz.sh
TIME:   0.126 seconds
messages:
command: shell unsettz.sh
reason: User specified action: run shell unsettz.sh
elapsed time (seconds): 0.126
STDOUT:
STDERR:

But it doesn't seem to affect the tests itself, and they still fail
(still off by 1 hour).

I was wondering if there is a way to let jtreg control environment
variables? Or maybe you can suggest a different solution?

The jtreg guide [2] mentions that TZ will be propagated from Windows 'if
set', but I need it to be not set, or automatically set to the system's
default time zone (by default it's blank).

(other than that, tests are looking good: `passed: 24; failed: 4; error:
1`. I just need to fix structs by value, which on Windows cheats and
just passes a pointer. 2 failing tests are from jextract missing)

Thanks,
Jorn

[1] : https://stackoverflow.com/q/11655003
[2] : http://openjdk.java.net/jtreg/tag-spec.html