Windows random EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION crash

Ty Young youngty1997 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 21 16:24:45 UTC 2020

I decided to port my application to Windows from Linux since NVML, Java,
and JavaFX are all cross-platform. It was pretty easy except for a bug
in the JDK build process that someone on build-dev helped me get through
and Maven being more strict on Windows than Linux. There is, however, an
issue in that the application sometimes crashes briefly after showing
the GUI with:

#
#
#  EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xc0000005) at pc=0x00007ffd8150efe2,
pid=15876, tid=10228
#
# JRE version: OpenJDK Runtime Environment (16.0) (build
16-internal+0-adhoc.young.panama-foreign-foreign-abi)
# Java VM: OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM
(16-internal+0-adhoc.young.panama-foreign-foreign-abi, mixed mode,
sharing, tiered, compressed oops, g1 gc, windows-amd64)
# Problematic frame:
# C  [nvml.dll+0x8efe2]

To be crystal clear, there was basically no code changes between Linux
and Windows(I manually specify library pathing for both now, that's it).
I've never seen this crash under Linux and if it doesn't happen once the
GUI first appears, the application will run just fine[2] for hours. I
tested this to make sure it wouldn't eventually crash. I've attached two
of the crash logs as well. Nothing stands out to me personally. The
Linux build I'm using is older than the Windows build. That's it.

Any ideas?

[1] https://imgur.com/a/n3KDkot

[2] https://imgur.com/a/dykLw6G