Obsoleting JavaCritical

Wojciech Kudla wkudla.kernel at gmail.com
Mon Jul 4 17:12:52 UTC 2022

Thanks for your input, Vitaly. I'd be interested to find out more about the
nature of the HW noise you observed in your benchmarks as our results were
very consistent and it was pretty straightforward to pinpoint the culprit
as JNI call overhead. Maybe it was just easier for us because we disallow
C- and P-state transitions and put a lot of effort to eliminate platform
jitter in general. Were you maybe running on a CPU model that doesn't
support constant TSC? I would also suggest retrying with LAPIC interrupts
suppressed (with: cli/sti) to maybe see if it's the kernel and not the
hardware.

100% agree on rdtsc(p) and snippets. There are some narrow usecases were
one can get some substantial speed ups with direct access to prefetch or by
abusing misprediction to keep icache hot. These scenarios are sadly only
available with inline assembly. I know of a few shops that go to the length
of forking Graal, etc to achieve that but am quite convinced such
capabilities would be welcome and utilized by many more groups if they were
easily accessible from java.

Thanks,
W.

On Mon, Jul 4, 2022 at 5:51 PM Vitaly Davidovich <vitalyd at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>> are involved, the cost associated to transitions are more likely to be "in
>> the noise". Of course if we look at absolute numbers, dropping transitions
>> would always yield "faster" code; but at the same time, going from 250ns to
>> 245ns is very unlikely to result in visible performance difference when
>> considering an application as a whole, so I think it's critical here to
>> decide _which_ use cases to prioritize.
>>
>> I think a good outcome of this discussion would be if we could come to
>> some shared understanding of which native calls are truly problematic (e.g.
>> clock_gettime-like), and then for the JDK to provide better (and more
>> maintainable) alternatives for those (which might even be faster than using
>> critical JNI).
>>
>> Thanks
>> Maurizio
>>
>> [1] - https://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man7/vdso.7.html
>> On 04/07/2022 12:23, Wojciech Kudla wrote:
>>
>> Thanks Maurizio,
>>
>> I raised this case mainly about clock_gettime and recvmsg/sendmsg, I
>> think we're focusing on the wrong things here. Feel free to drop the two
>> syscalls from the discussion entirely, but the main usecases I have been
>> presenting throughout this thread definitely stand.
>>
>> Thanks
>>

>> On Mon, Jul 4, 2022 at 10:54 AM Maurizio Cimadamore <
>> maurizio.cimadamore at oracle.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Wojtek,
>>> thanks for sharing this list, I think this is a good starting point to
>>> understand more about your use case.
>>>
>>> Last week I've been looking at "getrusage" (as you mentioned it in an
>>> earlier email), and I was surprised to see that the call took a pointer to
>>> a (fairly big) struct which then needed to be initialized with some
>>> thread-local state:
>>>
>>> https://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man2/getrusage.2.html
>>>
>>> I've looked at the implementation, and it seems to be doing memset on
>>> the user-provided struct pointer, plus all the fields assignment.
>>> Eyeballing the implementation, this does not seem to me like a "classic"
>>> use case where dropping transition would help much. I mean, surely dropping
>>> transitions would help shaving some nanoseconds off the call, but it
>>> doesn't seem to me that the call would be shortlived enough to make a
>>> difference. Do you have some benchmarks on this one? I did some [1] and the
>>> call overhead seemed to come up at 260ns/op - w/o transition you might
>>> perhaps be able to get to 250ns, but that's in the noise?
>>>
>>> As for getpid, note that you can do (since Java 9):
>>>
>>> ProcessHandle.current().pid();
>>>
>>> I believe the impl caches the result, so it shouldn't even make the
>>> native call.
>>>
>>> Maurizio
>>>
>>> [1] - http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~mcimadamore/panama/GetrusageTest.java
>>> On 02/07/2022 07:42, Wojciech Kudla wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Maurizio,
>>>
>>> Thanks for staying on this.

>>> where you believe critical JNI is having a real impact in the performance

>>> recvmsg
>>> recvmmsg
>>> sendmsg
>>> sendmmsg