[External] : Re: Re: Panama-FFI API Porting for RISCV64

Jorn Vernee jorn.vernee at oracle.com
Mon Nov 28 16:01:01 UTC 2022

 > However, there is no Binding can extend a float value to a 64 bits
value and fill its upper 32 bits. So, we have to modify shared code.

Yes, that's what I was thinking. The CAST binding operator could be
extended to handle that case. We'd probably want to refactor it into an
enum, where each enum constant denotes particular conversion semantics
(right now the semantics are derived only from the source and
destination types). There could be some `RISCV_FLOAT_TO_REG_BITS` enum
constant for the conversion you need, and then the resulting bits could
be written to the return buffer.

What you have now is also a possibility, but if you want to avoid
modifying shared code it seems simpler to use different segment masks
for the return storages, and then select the instruction based on that.

I had a look at the PR, and it looks like it is based on the current
code in the openjdk/jdk repo. We have 2 patches to bring over the code
from the panama-foreign repo to the mainline JDK repo, those will likely
be integrated in the next 1-2 weeks [1], [2] (before RDP1 at least).

Going directly into the JDK repo is probably fine as well, but in that
case the patch should be based at least on the PR from [2] I think, to
avoid having to do 2 reviews.

Jorn

[1]: https://github.com/openjdk/jdk/pull/10872
[2]: https://github.com/openjdk/jdk/pull/11019