FW: Porting OpenJDK 6 to Stratus OpenVOS on IA32 -- cross development??

Barnes, Richard Richard.Barnes at stratus.com
Mon Sep 22 13:41:07 PDT 2008

Since Java obviously does not exist on OpenVOS yet, and since there are
*.java files in HotSpot, we have been considering doing cross
development from a Linux/IA32 machine that already has a native Java
installed.  Since what we desire as a result of this project is an
OpenJDK6 running on OpenVOS, we believe we have run into a problem in
the makefiles and *.gmk files we have encountered to do not seem to
distinguish between host environments and target environments, which
would be helpful in order to make cross development less difficult.
This is in contrast to what we have seen in porting GNU software such as
gcc and gdb.  Does anybody have any hints in how to deal with this
situation in order to produce a JVM and JIT compiler for a platform
different from the original host platform?

Thanks,

Richard