RFR (M): 8024265: Enable new build on AIX (top level part)

Volker Simonis volker.simonis at gmail.com
Tue Sep 10 05:22:16 PDT 2013

On Mon, Sep 9, 2013 at 4:32 PM, Volker Simonis <volker.simonis at gmail.com>wrote:

> [...]
>> you don't like it we should ask the one who invented
>> 'COMPILER_SUPPORTS_TARGET_BITS_FLAG' :) And I had to set
>> 'COMPILER_TARGET_BITS_FLAG' a little earlier  such that is availabel in
>> PLATFORM_SET_COMPILER_TARGET_BITS_FLAGS.
>>
>> Sounds good! Nice aligning with the existing macro.
>>
>> However, you forgot to change the name in spec.gmk.in. (At least in the
>> webrev you published.)
>>

> Good catch! I didn't realize it because the build in the stage
> repositories currently doesn’t reach the X11 wrappers.
> I've changed it and moved it near the definition of
> 'COMPILER_SUPPORTS_TARGET_BITS_FLAG'
>

>>   2. After you pointed out that setting '-q64' as extra flags on the
>> configure command line is not the way it is supposed to work I recalled
>> that we also have this problem on older Linux/PPC64 boxes (e.g. SLES 10)
>> where the default compiler produces 32-bit objects by default. To fix this
>> problem as well, I've inserted a call to
>> PLATFORM_SET_COMPILER_TARGET_BITS_FLAGS followed by a second call to
>> AC_CHECK_SIZEOF([int *], [1111]) in the case where we would otherwise have
>> bailed out because the "TESTED_TARGET_CPU_BITS" differs from the actual
>> "OPENJDK_TARGET_CPU_BITS". I think this change should not affect any
>> existing platforms because it will only be triggered where we woould have
>> bailed out with an error anyway.
>>
>>  Also, the workaround for autoconf bug
>> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/autoconf/2010-07/msg00004.html in
>> AC_CHECK_SIZEOF isn't needed any more now that we require at least
>> autoconf-2.69 because the problem was fixed in 2.67. And if I looked at it
>> more carefully I must say that I don't understand the workaround at all. In
>> my opinion, the test "x$SIZEOF_INT_P" != "x$ac_cv_sizeof_int_p" will always
>> fail, because the AC_CHECK_SIZEOF macro only writes a define for
>> SIZEOF_INT_P into "confdefs.h" (as can be seen in generated-configure.h)
>> but it never defines it in the shell. And defining SIZEOF_INT_P in the
>> configure shell script wouldn't help if the define written by the
>> AC_CHECK_SIZEOF macro was wrong (as described in the bug). So Ithink the
>> best is to remove the workaround and use "ac_cv_sizeof_int_p" in the places
>> where we used AC_CHECK_SIZEOF before.
>>

>> Good to get rid of the old workaround. I agree, it looks kind of weird. I
>> think I might have been behind some of the weirdness; I think I interpreted
>> the autoconf documentation as if it should assign a variable SIZEOF_INT_P
>> in the configure script, and that the $ac_* variables were internal
>> variables that should not be directly accessed. In the current
>> documentation, at least, the $ac_cv_sizeof* macro is officially mentioned
>> so it should be safe to use.
>>
>> However, your second relies on some internal autoconf magic, by unsetting
>> variables and defines. We've tried to avoid that, but at times there were
>> no choice. Since we're about to fail anyway, and the code is more in place
>> for future, strange platforms, it's probably no harm.

Vladimir will push the changes because he also needs to re-generate the
closed config files (thanks Vladimir).

Here's the final webrev:

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~simonis/webrevs/8024265.v3

@Vladimir: I used autoconf 2.69 to create the webrev, so if you recreate
the config files the diff to 'common/autoconf/generated-configure.sh'
should be only the time-stamp field.

Regards,
Volker