OpenJDK Quality Outreach - LWJGL

Ioannis Tsakpinis iotsakp at gmail.com
Mon Jul 25 13:58:27 UTC 2016

Hello,

This is a request to add LWJGL 3 (https://www.lwjgl.org) to the FOSS projects
listed in the Quality Outreach page
(https://wiki.openjdk.java.net/display/quality/Quality+Outreach).

Our CI currently runs on JDK 8, except for Javadoc generation, which uses
JDK 9 for the new search box (currently 60MB of HTML, without the index).
We test JDK 9 builds manually.

LWJGL 3 requires Java 8+ to build and run. We build without issues up to the
latest JDK 8 build (u112 b03). The build fails on JDK 9 with Jigsaw, because
the Kotlin compiler has dependencies on sun.reflect classes that have been
removed. We use Kotlin offline only, as a type-safe DSL for LWJGL's code
generator. The rest of the build, including the compiled Kotlin code, works on
JDK 9.

At runtime, everything runs fine on all JDKs: 8u112 b03, 9 b128, Jigsaw b127.
All tests pass, all demos run without issues. Our only mischief is heavy use
of Unsafe internally. Some usages may be replaced with VarHandles and multi-
release JARs in the future. Certain usages cannot be replaced until Project
Panama (in Java 10).

Thanks,

Ioannis Tsakpinis
@iotsakp