Backports to jdk11u and jdk17u

yangfei at iscas.ac.cn yangfei at iscas.ac.cn
Tue Jan 17 08:23:06 UTC 2023

Hi,

-----Original Messages-----
From:"Ludovic Henry" <ludovic at rivosinc.com>
Sent Time:2023-01-16 23:36:33 (Monday)
To: "章翔" <zhangxiang at iscas.ac.cn>
Cc: yangfei at iscas.ac.cn, riscv-port-dev at openjdk.org, yadonn.wang at huawei.com, jdk-updates-dev at openjdk.java.net
Subject: Re: Re: Backports to jdk11u and jdk17u

>> However there is one big difference between general jdk17u and riscv secific one: while jdk17u accepts only bug fixes and minor perf improvements, the riscv-port-jdk17u will have to accept larger patches: as risc-v port is far from being perfect so far, performance-wise is worse than arm64 port.
>  I expect to initiate the backport in a dedicated openjdk/riscv-port-jdk17u repository for exactly that. Until the riscv port is considered very stable and performant, we likely want to keep it in a separate repository. When stable, we can work with the relevant maintainers of jdk8u, jdk11u and jdk17u for possible integrations.

That sounds reasonable to me as we are able to find more time to look at the jvm performance issues on RISCV now.

>  > In fact, there were some discussions before on the list about the backporting work [1].
>
>  I missed this one, thanks for pointing it out.
>
>  > I'm Xiang Zhang from the Institute of Software, Chinese Academy of Sciences. I'm backporting jdk8u for RISC-V support. Here is my development repository:
>> https://github.com/zhangxiang-plct/jdk8u
>  If there is a riscv-port-jdk8u project, would you be interested to contribute there directly?
>
>  In the meantime, I'll contact skara-dev to figure out what it would take to create the riscv-port-jdk11u and riscv-port-jdk17u repositories.

Besides the repositories needed, I also wonder the correct workflow for future reviewing & merging of backporting PRs on those repos.
I would like to hear comments/suggestions from the jdk update maintainers.

Thanks,
Fei </zhangxiang at iscas.ac.cn></ludovic at rivosinc.com>