RFR: JDK-8067479: verify-modules fails in bootcycle build

David Holmes david.holmes at oracle.com
Mon Jan 12 02:45:41 UTC 2015

Hi Erik,

On 10/01/2015 12:34 AM, Erik Joelsson wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Please review this patch which fixes the verify-modules target when
> running bootcycle build, and also reenables verify-modules when running
> "make images".
>
> There were two problems:
>
> * The bootcycle build configuration was broken so that both the normal
> and the bootcycle build used the same HOTSPOT_DIST directory. The
> consequence of this was that verify-modules worked when run on its own,
> but not if bootcycle-images had been run before. This is fixed in
> bootcycle-spec.gmk.in.
>
> * Since javac in JDK 9 no longer emits classes for implicitly compiled
> sources, certain classes in sa-jdi.jar were not compiled during the
> bootcycle build. I fixed this by adding the missing classes to sa.files.
> Not having the classes there might have been intentional (in at least
> some cases), but since they were compiled anyway, I felt it safer to
> just add them to the list to fix this issue. If these classes shouldn't
> be included, then they need to be properly removed in a followup fix.

SA is owned by serviceability - cc'd. Changes seem okay as a solution to
immediate problem, but I don't think anyone expects the IA64 stuff to
still be needed. It is on the todo list to eradicate IA64 IIRC.

Looks like there is limited awareness of the need to keep sa.files up to
date. :(

Thanks,
David