3-rd round RFR (S) 8008678: JSR 292: constant pool reconstitution must support pseudo strings

John Rose john.r.rose at oracle.com
Fri Jan 16 23:32:33 UTC 2015

On Jan 16, 2015, at 3:03 PM, Coleen Phillimore <coleen.phillimore at oracle.com> wrote:

> I was sort of wondering about this along the same lines.  You're setting the second bit, right? :)

That sounds good, much better than the string prefix hack.

Parsing the string would introduce too much coupling between the JVM and random details of the JDK.

I also suggested to Serguei that redefinition of patched classes is not going to happen, since they are not user-visible.  So all of the "EMCP" logic can punt on pseudo-strings, one way or another, if it needs to.

BTW, since patched classes are always anonymous classes, you can't even get to them, unless you dig them out some private place like a lambda form.

Reconstitution is also a lost cause, since the patches will be dropped, but I see how that might be something you might possibly run into, as a stress test or some sort of debugger display.

— John