JDK-6291341: jstat: FGC counter confusing when CMS GC is used

Yasumasa Suenaga yasuenag at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 12:41:55 UTC 2016

Hi,

> The jdk changes look good to me.

Thanks! Staffan

Jon,

>> Meaning, without the jdk changes, will jstat continue to work
>> as it currently does?

I uploaded new webrev. I updated webrev for hotspot only:
    http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~ysuenaga/JDK-6291341/poc-2/hotspot/

This patch works the same as the current by default.
If you set -XX:+EnableConcGCPerfCounter, CGC counter will work fine.
(I want to set +EnableConcGCPerfCounter by default :-) )

>> Would the changes in the JVM be useful to you without the jstat changes?

We can override jstat_options if we want to watch CGC counters.
Also we can check it through PerfCounter.print jcmd.

I'm developing JVMTI agent [1] which uses sun.gc.collector PerfCounters.
Our agent watches major collection through PerfCounter and JVMTI events.

Thus I'm sure that this change is very useful for us.

Thanks,

Yasumasa

[1] http://icedtea.classpath.org/wiki/HeapStats