RFR: 8146879: Add option for handling existing log files in UL

Robbin Ehn robbin.ehn at oracle.com
Fri Mar 11 15:50:51 UTC 2016

Hi Marcus,

Two small things.

src/share/vm/runtime/os.hpp:
+  static int compare_file_modified_times(const char* file1, const char*
file2);
Is this so generic that we should have it os.[h,c]pp?
E.g. if we want to compare ctime, etc.. ?

On 03/11/2016 03:21 PM, Marcus Larsson wrote:
> Third time's the charm.
>
> Webrev:
> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~mlarsson/8146879/webrev.03/
>
> This patch makes log file rotation the default. Default thresholds are 5
> rotated files with a target size of 20MiB. Truncating behavior can be
> achieved by setting filecount to 0 (-Xlog::myfile.log::filecount=0).

src/share/vm/logging/logFileOutput.hpp:
+ static const size_t DefaultRotationFileSize = 2097152; // 20MiB
Missing a 0 here, I prefer to write this as 20*1024*1024

> If a log file already exists during log file initialization it will be
> rotated. If any of the target file names (file.0 to file.4 in the
> default case) are available, that filename will be used for the existing
> log. If all names are taken the VM will attempt to overwrite the oldest
> file.
>
> This should prevent unlimited log file creations and avoid accidental
> loss of log files from previous runs. The default thresholds (5 files,
> 20MiB each) is just a suggestion. If you think it should be higher/lower
> let me know.
>
> Tested with included internal VM tests through RBT.

I also functional tested this and it works as intended.
There is an issue regarding removing the current log file.
Discussed in side-channel it will be handled outside this CS since it
not directly related.

Otherwise looks good!

/Robbin