RFR: 8146879: Add option for handling existing log files in UL

Marcus Larsson marcus.larsson at oracle.com
Mon Mar 14 10:29:56 UTC 2016

Hi,

Thanks for looking at this!

On 03/13/2016 12:03 PM, Dmitry Samersoff wrote:
> Marcus,
>
> 1. os_posix/os_windows.cpp
>
> Windows version is expensive and change access time of a log file.
>
> So it's better to create os::get_mtime() that uses stat() for both,
> windows and posix and LogFileOutput::calc_mtime_diff().
>
> Also it saves a bit of compiler power unrolling loop.

This is similar to my first approach but I ran into problems with it
because st_mtime is a struct timespec on posix and a time_t on windows.
 From the start I wanted better precision than seconds, which is why I
wanted to use CompareFileTime(). Given that we can not depend on any
particular precision, perhaps it's better to just use stat() on windows
as well, like you say.

> 2. log.cpp
>
> size_t number_of_lines_with_substring_in_file()
>
> When you plan to use it ? Current implementation is rather expensive,
> but if you plan to run it manually only, I'm OK with it.

It's used for testing only.

> 3. logFileOutput.cpp
>
> 82.
> Please, change file_exists to can_be_rotated() and check that log output
> is a *regular file* and you have a write access to it.

I guess it would be useful to give an error in the case someone
specifies logging to something that's not a regular file. Checking for
write permissions shouldn't be necessary here though. If any of the
required operations fail because of lacking permissions we'll notice
that at that time.

> 87.
> Please, don't use floating point math. Just allocate 10 extra bytes, it
> fit all possible file length value.

I can use a fixed size for the allocations, but we will still want to
figure out how many numbers should be used so that we can use the
appropriate amount of padding. Logging with 10 files in rotation should
use log.0 to log.9, not log.0000000 to log.0000009.

> 93.
> if we have log.01, log.03 etc this function creates log.02 instead of
> log.04.

Yes, that's intentional.

> Sorry! I'm not follow logic of ll.118
> What happens if some log parsing tool change log file mtime?

We'll always prefer to overwrite the file that hasn't been modified for
the longest time.

> Please, limit the number of old logs (FileCountOption) to some
> reasonable value (e.g. 999) and use binary search to find the name of a
> next file.

I can limit it, but I'm not sure we should make the effort of binary
searching for the file name. It's a one time search during startup and I
would expect most people to use around 10 files.

> Also please check full log file name against MAX_PATH constant.

Is it really necessary? Won't fopen() just fail and return the
appropriate error for this?

Thanks,
Marcus