RFR: 8146879: Add option for handling existing log files in UL

Marcus Larsson marcus.larsson at oracle.com
Mon Mar 14 10:52:41 UTC 2016

Hi,

On 03/11/2016 05:40 PM, Gerard Ziemski wrote:
> hi Marcus,
>
> I’m still going through the webrev, but I thought I would report my feedback so far.

Thanks for looking at this!

> #1 File src/os/posix/vm/os_posix.cpp
>
> How about instead of:
>
> +int os::compare_file_modified_times(const char* file1, const char* file2) {
> +  struct stat st[2];
> +  struct timespec filetime[2];
> +
> +  for (int i = 0; i < 2; i++) {
> +    const char* file = (i == 0 ? file1 : file2);
> +    int ret = os::stat(file, &st[i]);
> +    assert(ret == 0, "failed to stat() file '%s': %s", file, strerror(errno));
> +#ifdef __APPLE__
> +    filetime[i] = st[i].st_mtimespec;
> +#else
> +    filetime[i] = st[i].st_mtim;
> +#endif
> +  }
> +
> +  int diff = filetime[0].tv_sec - filetime[1].tv_sec;
> +  if (diff == 0) {
> +    return filetime[0].tv_nsec - filetime[1].tv_nsec;
> +  }
> +  return diff;
> +}
>
> we have something like this, which doesn’t use arrays or a loop mimicking inline function:
>
> static inline struct timespec get_timespec(const char* file) {
>    struct stat st;
>    int ret = stat(file, &st);
>    assert(ret == 0, "failed to stat() file '%s': %s", file, strerror(errno));
>    #ifdef __APPLE__
>      return st.st_mtimespec;
>    #else
>      return st.st_mtim;
>    #endif
> }
>
> int compare_file_modified_times(const char* file1, const char* file2) {
>    struct timespec filetime1 = get_timespec(file1);
>    struct timespec filetime2 = get_timespec(file2);
>    int diff = filetime1.tv_sec - filetime2.tv_sec;
>    if (diff == 0) {
>       return filetime1.tv_nsec - filetime2.tv_nsec;
>    }
>    return diff;
> }
>
> Similarly we should use static inline function instead of a loop in src/os/windows/vm/os_windows.cpp

Good suggestions, will update.

> #2 File src/share/vm/logging/log.cpp
>
> Doesn’t this function produce an error or at least a warning on a product build without asserts?
>
> +static void delete_file(const char* filename) {
> +  if (!file_exists(filename)) {
> +    return;
> +  }
> +  int ret = remove(filename);
> +  assert(ret == 0, "failed to remove file '%s': %s", filename, strerror(errno));
> +}

I haven't run in to any problems with this. I'm guessing I should've
failed to build in JPRT if this was a problem, given that we treat
warnings as errors.

> #3 File src/share/vm/logging/log.cpp
>
> The number_of_lines_with_substring_in_file() function will not count the substrings that happen to lay across the boundary at sizeof(buf). For example with:
>
>   char buf[16];
>
> and file consisting of “12345678901234gerard1234567890” it will return 0 for number_of_lines_with_substring_in_file(file, “gerard")

Yeah I'm aware of this limitation. It's only used in the test though,
where I'm hoping it won't be a problem. Would a comment about this be
enough?

> #4 File src/share/vm/logging/log.cpp
>
> Should we clarify that we are rounding the results of log10 down by explicitly using floor and explicitly casting it to uint?
>
> static uint number_of_digits_new(uint number) {
>    double d = static_cast<double>(number);
>    uint res = 1 + static_cast<uint>(floor(log10(d)));
>    return res;
> }
>
> cheers

Seems like a good idea to me.