RFR(S): [testbug] add @requires vm.cds to CDS tests in jdk test suite

David Holmes david.holmes at oracle.com
Mon Aug 28 22:33:25 UTC 2017

Hi Goetz,

On 28/08/2017 5:57 PM, Lindenmaier, Goetz wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> thanks for looking at my change!
>
>> Should JDK-8185436 have made the changes to TEST.ROOT? I don't
>> understand all the changes that have been added there. Did JDK-8185436
>> make VMProps.java dependent on WhitBox API but not provide a means to
>> actually build VMProps properly??
> 8185436 did the changes for the hotspot tests. With this change I want to
> exclude tests in the jdk test suite. When I did 8185436 there was no need
> to add these lines in the jdk test suite (as now I will not add it in jaxp/test etc.)
> because the @requires in the jdk/test suite did not yet use anything from
> VMProps.java.
>
> When I did 8185436 I was asked by Mikhailo Seledtsov to use the @requires functionality.
> http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/hotspot-runtime-dev/2017-July/024072.html
>
> As I understand, the three lines I added to TEST.ROOT, which are just copied from
> hotspot/test/TEST.ROOT, tell jtreg how to compile VMProps.java which is needed
> to evaluate the @requires statements.

Thanks, now I see how this hangs together. It seems very odd to me to
have a top-repo VMProps.java, but then the build instructions for it
need to go into the local repo TEST.ROOT file. Oh well I suppose that
will all change with the consolidated repo. :)

>> I think the TEST.ROOT change may need wider review than serviceability-dev.
> Where should I post it to?

Perhaps core-libs-dev, just so folk there are aware of the change.

Thanks,
David