RFR: JDK-8210337: runtime/NMT/VirtualAllocTestType.java failed on RuntimeException missing from stdout/stderr

Gary Adams gary.adams at oracle.com
Thu Oct 4 15:54:14 UTC 2018

First, let me retract the proposed change,
it is not the right solution to the problem originally
reported.

Second, as a bit of explanation consider the code fragments below.

The high level processing calls openDoor which is willing to retry
the operation as long as the error is flagged specifically
as a FileNotFoundException.

   VirtualMachineImpl.java:72
   VirtualMachineImpl.c:81

During my testing I had added a check VirtualMachineImpl.java:214
and when an IOException was detected made a call to checkPermissions
to get more detailed information about the IOException. The error
I saw was an ENOENT from the stat call. And not the detailed checks for
specific permissions issues (VirtualMachineImpl.c:143)

     VirtualMachineImpl.c:118
     VirtualMachineImpl.c:147

What I missed in the original proposed solution was a FileNotFoundException
extends IOException. That means my delay and retry just duplicates the
higher
level retry around the openDoor call.

Third, the original error message logged in the bug report :

java.io.IOException: Permission denied
at jdk.attach/sun.tools.attach.VirtualMachineImpl.open(Native Method)

had to have come from

   VirtualMachineImpl.c:70
   VirtualMachineImpl.c:84

which means the actual open call reported the file does exist
but the permissions do not allow the file to be accessed.
That also means the normal mechanism of removing leftover
java_pid files would not have cleaned up another user's
java_pid files.

=====
src/jdk.attach/solaris/classes/sun/tools/attach/VirtualMachineImpl.java:
     67            // Opens the door file to the target VM. If the file
is not
     68            // found it might mean that the attach mechanism
isn't started in the
     69            // target VM so we attempt to start it and retry.
     70            try {
     71                fd = openDoor(pid);
     72            } catch (FileNotFoundException fnf1) {
     73                File f = createAttachFile(pid);
     74                try {
     75                    sigquit(pid);
     76
     77                    // give the target VM time to start the
attach mechanism
     78                    final int delay_step = 100;
     79                    final long timeout = attachTimeout();
     80                    long time_spend = 0;
     81                    long delay = 0;
     82                    do {
     83                        // Increase timeout on each attempt to
reduce polling
     84                        delay += delay_step;
     85                        try {
     86                            Thread.sleep(delay);
     87                        } catch (InterruptedException x) { }
     88                        try {
     89                            fd = openDoor(pid);
     90                        } catch (FileNotFoundException fnf2) {
     91                            // pass
     92                        }
     93
     94                        time_spend += delay;
     95                        if (time_spend > timeout/2 && fd == -1) {
     96                            // Send QUIT again to give target VM
the last chance to react
     97                            sigquit(pid);
     98                        }
     99                    } while (time_spend <= timeout && fd == -1);
    100                    if (fd  == -1) {
    101                        throw new AttachNotSupportedException(
    102                            String.format("Unable to open door
%s: " +
    103                              "target process %d doesn't respond
within %dms " +
    104                              "or HotSpot VM not loaded",
socket_path, pid, time_spend));
    105                    }
    212        // The door is attached to .java_pid<pid> in the
temporary directory.
    213        private int openDoor(int pid) throws IOException {
    214            socket_path = tmpdir + "/.java_pid" + pid;
    215            fd = open(socket_path);
    216
    217            // Check that the file owner/permission to avoid
attaching to
    218            // bogus process
    219            try {
    220                checkPermissions(socket_path);
    221            } catch (IOException ioe) {
    222                close(fd);
    223                throw ioe;
    224            }
    225            return fd;
    226        }

=====
src/jdk.attach/solaris/native/libattach/VirtualMachineImpl.c:
     59    JNIEXPORT jint JNICALL
Java_sun_tools_attach_VirtualMachineImpl_open
     60      (JNIEnv *env, jclass cls, jstring path)
     61    {
     62        jboolean isCopy;
     63        const char* p = GetStringPlatformChars(env, path, &isCopy);
     64        if (p == NULL) {
     65            return 0;
     66        } else {
     67            int fd;
     68            int err = 0;
     69
     70            fd = open(p, O_RDWR);
     71            if (fd == -1) {
     72                err = errno;
     73            }
     74
     75            if (isCopy) {
     76                JNU_ReleaseStringPlatformChars(env, path, p);
     77            }
     78
     79            if (fd == -1) {
     80                if (err == ENOENT) {
     81                    JNU_ThrowByName(env,
"java/io/FileNotFoundException", NULL);
     82                } else {
     83                    char* msg = strdup(strerror(err));
     84                    JNU_ThrowIOException(env, msg);
     85                    if (msg != NULL) {
     86                        free(msg);
     87                    }
     88                }
     89            }
     90            return fd;
     91        }
     92    }
     99    JNIEXPORT void JNICALL
Java_sun_tools_attach_VirtualMachineImpl_checkPermissions
    100      (JNIEnv *env, jclass cls, jstring path)
    101    {
    102        jboolean isCopy;
    103        const char* p = GetStringPlatformChars(env, path, &isCopy);
    104        if (p != NULL) {
    105            struct stat64 sb;
    106            uid_t uid, gid;
    107            int res;
    108
    109            memset(&sb, 0, sizeof(struct stat64));
    110
    111            /*
    112             * Check that the path is owned by the effective
uid/gid of this
    113             * process. Also check that group/other access is not
allowed.
    114             */
    115            uid = geteuid();
    116            gid = getegid();
    117
    118            res = stat64(p, &sb);
    119            if (res != 0) {
    120                /* save errno */
    121                res = errno;
    122            }
    123
    124            if (res == 0) {
    125                char msg[100];
    126                jboolean isError = JNI_FALSE;
    127                if (sb.st_uid != uid && uid != ROOT_UID) {
    128                    snprintf(msg, sizeof(msg),
    129                        "file should be owned by the current user
(which is %d) but is owned by %d", uid, sb.st_uid);
    130                    isError = JNI_TRUE;
    131                } else if (sb.st_gid != gid && uid != ROOT_UID) {
    132                    snprintf(msg, sizeof(msg),
    133                        "file's group should be the current group
(which is %d) but the group is %d", gid, sb.st_gid);
    134                    isError = JNI_TRUE;
    135                } else if ((sb.st_mode &
(S_IRGRP|S_IWGRP|S_IROTH|S_IWOTH)) != 0) {
    136                    snprintf(msg, sizeof(msg),
    137                        "file should only be readable and
writable by the owner but has 0%03o access", sb.st_mode & 0777);
    138                    isError = JNI_TRUE;
    139                }
    140                if (isError) {
    141                    char buf[256];
    142                    snprintf(buf, sizeof(buf), "well-known file
%s is not secure: %s", p, msg);
    143                    JNU_ThrowIOException(env, buf);
    144                }
    145            } else {
    146                char* msg = strdup(strerror(res));
    147                JNU_ThrowIOException(env, msg);
    148                if (msg != NULL) {
    149                    free(msg);
    150                }
    151            }