RFR(S) 8021335: Missing synchronization when reading counters for live threads and peak thread count

David Holmes david.holmes at oracle.com
Thu Oct 18 02:07:27 UTC 2018

Hi Dean,

This still seems racy to me. We increment all counts under the
Threads_lock but we still decrement without the Threads_lock. So we can
lose updates to the perfCounters.

  117   _total_threads_count->inc();
  118   Atomic::inc(&_atomic_threads_count);
  119   int count = _atomic_threads_count;
<= context switch here
  120   _live_threads_count->set_value(count);

If a second thread now exits while the above thread is descheduled, it
will decrement _atomic_threads_count and _live_threads_count, but when
the first thread resumes at line 120 above we will set
_live_threads_count to the wrong value!

You can't maintain two counters in sync without all changes using
locking across both.

David