8196989: Revamp G1 JMX MemoryPool and GarbageCollector MXBean definitions

JC Beyler jcbeyler at google.com
Fri Oct 19 02:45:59 UTC 2018

Hi Paul,

Looks much better to me. The other question I have is about the legacy
mode. I understand why, from a tool's perspective, having a legacy mode is
practical. By doing it this way, we are ensuring we don't break any tools
(or at least they can use a flag to be "unbroken") and give time to
migrate. This also provides an easier means to backport this fix to older
JDKs because now the legacy mode can be used to not break anything and yet
provide a means to migrate to a more sane vision of G1 collector
definitions.

Should the flag perhaps be automatically put in deprecation and then we can
mark it as obsolete for JDK13? That would give a limited time for a flag
but again I'm not sure this is really done?

Or is the plan to keep the flag for a given number of versions, try out
these new pools and ensure they provide what we need?

Thanks!
Jc

--

Thanks,